move over beethoven

Jordan started piano lessons this month. It's something I always wanted to do as a kid but never did. Over the years I had a short stint with piano lessons, but it didn't really work out. I've managed to teach  myself a little and know how to play a few songs thanks to the tutorial in my handy dandy electronic keyboard.

A couple of years ago we bought a piano on portageonline. It's 100 years old but is in awesome shape. We had it tuned and we've played around on it but nobody has taken up any serious learning on it.

Until now.

Well, as serious as a seven year old can be.

I couldn't wait to enroll her. I phoned around at the end of August and managed to get her on the waiting list of a well-recommended home piano teacher here in Portage.

Imagine my joy when I surprised Jordan with the news that she would be taking piano lessons!

Imagine my disillusionment when her shoulders slumped and she said "Really? Why?"

Apparently I hadn't asked her if she wanted to, or told her what I was doing. Oops.

I tried to talk her into getting excited for her upcoming lessons, but she seemed reluctant and was definitely trying not to look too turned off, probably so she wouldn't hurt my feelings. Obviously Mommy looked excited enough for both of us.

Then I took her. In the van on the way over to her first lesson she asked me over and over if I'd stay. I told her I didn't know if that was allowed. Jordan gets nervous about new things.

We arrived at Mrs. M's house. They actually knew each other, because Mrs. M. is the librarian at Jordan's school. She was as friendly and welcoming as could be and I knew Jordan would be fine. She gave me a quick rundown of the books she'd be using, and the procedure once we showed up there, and where Jordan could sit and wait, and let me know that I could come back and get her in 30 minutes. Jordan clung to my hand and looked at me like I was leaving her in the tar pits.

The end result?

She loves piano lessons. She loves monkeying around on the piano, she's proud of herself that she's learning. After the second lesson the teacher walked Jordan to the van and said to me that Jordan must do well at school because she was a quick learner and had remembered everything they had done the week before. Jordan beamed with pride, and so did I! She's never asked me to stay again and knows that I'll be there to get her. She likes to practice the songs she knows, but slumps and groans and lays on the piano bench when she gets frustrated with a new song. She also likes to push down on the pedals to make everything sound just so much more awesome (not). At this point I generally take deep breaths and try not to snap at her because turning piano practice into giant fights is probably not going to help her willingness to try her best. Then, all of a sudden, she figures out the song, or gets to the end of it without making any mistakes and she's back on board with her love of playing the piano.

Comments

Ange said…
Yay! That is so exciting! Can't wait to hear her play, go Jordan! Glad she loves it!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

the manitoba marathon

10 weeks