you bought what?

Did I mention we bought a laptop? Or - to be more specific - Steven bought a laptop. Not a brand new $800 laptop (we're way too cheap), a used one off Portage Online.

Now you'd think that buying a used one would be a good idea right? Except for the few "minor" issues:
  1. the battery does not hold a charge. You can have it charged right up and if you unplug it for 5 minutes (no exaggeration) the charge is GONE. If you're going to have a laptop, isn't the idea that you aren't plugged in to the wall?
  2. it doesn't have the hardware for wireless internet. I called the local computer guys. It's about $75 for that.
  3. it doesn't have Microsoft Works, or Microsoft office. Hence, no typing program.

You may think these things are minor. However, once you add the cost of adding all these things to the computer, as well as what we paid for the computer, we could have almost bought a new cheapish laptop. Men. As of yet we haven't done any of these things or hooked it to the internet. I have not actually used it. Stupid laptop.

Note: Sometimes I think I write these not-so-interesting blog posts just so I have an excuse to use bullets.

In my computer fantasies I am sitting at the island with a kick-ass, real-life laptop writing a novel. Yes, I have myself convinced that the only thing keeping me from writing more than blog posts is that my computer is in the basement. Seriously, I don't know that there are going to be many novels created in this house in the near future. But there surely won't be if I have to do it in the basement.

We have some serious pest issues in the basement (hallelujah, bullets again!):
  1. spiders. damn rotten things.
  2. mice. or just one mouse, but he's dead now. doesn't mean his friends won't come looking.
  3. kids. those kids do not respect the sanctity of the computer room. you should see what they do to the stacks of cds in here. they also like to use video cameras and other electronic equipment to get a few inches off the ground so they can see the computer. they play my keyboard in here too, there is the remnants of a candy necklace stickied all over it.

See? Just imagine what us housewives would become if only we had laptops. That worked. And held a charge. And had internet capabilities - for novel research of course.

Comments

Sonya said…
We have a laptop. It was new a long time ago. When we lived in town we enjoyed wireless high speed internet and being unplugged from the wall. Since moving to a more rural location, we no longer have access to high speed, never mind wireless and the battery doesn't hold a charge for more than about 60 seconds. And when Future Shop "fixed" our computer by replacing the modem the erased all of our programs. So I know have Microsoft Office which I installed from a borrowed cd. So don't feel that you're alone in this! I have a 20 foot phone cord that allows me to sit on the couch with dial up (provided the power is plugged in) so I can surf the net while Dillon watches Berenstain Bears. Some day we'll upgrade. Some day!
Tiffany said…
That sounds like us! The computer has to be plugged into an outlet and I guess I could try and find a 20 foot phone cord too. Might be worth it. I'd love to sit at my island in the kitchen with the thing and check blogs and email from up there, although I doubt I'd do ANY housework once that happens.
Candice said…
I can tell you right now that no housework will be done - I am completely wire free but it doesn't really matter considering I don't have a lot of places to work -- this place is a disaster zone. (Your blogs are just too entertaining to put down! I can't wait to read your novel...)
Tiffany said…
That's my fear! Someday my kids will look back and think "I'm sure Mommy was around somewhere . . ."
Sonya said…
I've hooked up so many times that I've broken the tabs off the phone cord. So it just sits in the computer with nothing holding it in. And if Dillon comes along and decides he feels like pulling the cord, he does. Beware of kids and their love of pulling on random cords they find hanging around!
Trevor said…
I want a laptop so bad...to do novel research of course, but novel in the sense of, "that was a novel idea," or "why do you fill your head with such novel trivia?"
Tiffany said…
Trevor, should you get a laptop, might I suggest NOT bringing it into the bathtub! Although, I suppose that would be a novel idea, if not a little shocking.
Anonymous said…
Tiff:

A note from a problem solver type.

Download Open Office from openoffice.org. It is a free package, and has a word processer, spreadsheet, powerpoint, database and graphics program. It is all compatible with MS Office file types.

As for the battery, it sucks, but even new laptops only stay on for about an hour or two before the battery starts to die. And the screen is much dimmer on battery power as well, so many people end up plugging their laptops in all the time anyway.
Tiffany said…
Thanks "anonymous"! I'm always game for a free software program, they charge an arm and a leg to buy "real" ones. Now we just have to get the thing plugged into the net and we're good to go!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

MIA