sibbling squabbles


Tennyson just came in and told me that Jordan is trying to make him eat sand. Oh the joys of siblings. I remember being driven nuts by my brother as a kid. Yet, I remember playing with him constantly too. That's what my kids are like. There are times when I can hear them playing and they're laughing the full, from the bottom of the belly laughs. Ten minutes later they'll be hitting each other with toys. Following that they're begging each other to come and play where they're playing. I wish they could do somewhat less fighting, but I also know that I'm lucky that when they're not fighting they're playing together.

Yesterday was cookie day at Jordan's school. The grade 3 students' parents were responsible for sending cookies to school to help fund raise for Unicef. I almost forgot about it. Good thing I happened upon the newsletter the night before, or we could have had another snack situation. I sent Jordan's cookie money to school that morning, and when I picked her up after school she announced that she has saved one of her two cookies for Tennyson. I was moved. I know it's little, but she's a kid, and it's a cookie, and I probably would have just eaten them myself at school if I was her. But nope, she saved one for her brother. It was a nice big juicy chocolate chip cookie. Kudos to Jordan.

Five minutes later they were already arguing about something, and mad at each other. Yet when we hopped out of the van a minute or two after that she opened up her backpack and handed him her cookie.

Then Mitchie cried, because he didn't have a cookie. I asked Tennyson if he'd share his cookie with Mitchie. Tennyson said no. Nothing like paying it forward. I told them that it was okay, because I'd find Mitchie a super-special snack. Tennyson then gave Mitchie half his cookie, and asked if they could now all have a special snack.

There was no special snack. Heh heh heh. I knew it would work.

The sibling relationships are crazy ones. They love each other like crazy, and at times they don't like each other at all - if only for a few minutes.

I seriously hope that in twenty years they're still friends, and they hang out sometimes, and they take each others kids home for the afternoon to play with their own kids. I hope my boys stand up for each other on their wedding days. I hope my daughters meet up for lunches and pedicures. Is it too much to hope for?

Comments

Ange said…
I think we all want our kids to grow up and be friends. I know I do. That was very nice of Jordan to share her cookie! Every now and then my kids will do the same, share something with each other. Makes me happy! Great post!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense