a good day

I was so grumpy this morning. I was going to get up, go for a run, make the kids clean the basement and then head off to playgroup.

I slept in.

The kids, after being sent downstairs to clean up their mess, dumped out all the rest of their toys that were actually in the toy boxes already. I turned into Fiona, without the pleasant disposition.


I was sure it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Then I went to diaper gym. Before that I had to stand over the kids and make them finish cleaning, because I told them that if they didn't clean up their toys we weren't going to go - and I really wanted to go.

At diaper gym the kids were actually pretty good. Jordan had been counting down sleeps for two weeks until there was no school on a diaper gym day.

Sure they snuck onto the stage a couple of times, and I put them in time out once for swinging around the horse-head-on-a-stick and hitting stuff with it, but over all, it was good. I love to see them laughing and playing with other kids, especially when nobody is crying or being left out.

Then we came home. I decided that I wasn't going to be GrumpyMom anymore (you really can decide these things you know). We had lunch (which they actually ate), and seconds (because they knew I'd run out of noodles and they could have pb & honey sandwiches), and thirds (but that's where I drew the line) and then they went downstairs to watch tv. They hadn't watched any in two days. My mom came over at 2 and I set the kids up to colour on a giant piece of paper. There's nothing like a giant piece of paper and a box of crayons to keep them entertained for an hour, sometimes more.


I made pizza dough while Mom dried my dishes and we chatted. Then we moved into the dining room with our cups of tea and our conversation. The sun is shining brightly through the windows, the kids alternated between the backyard and their poster and all was/is well.

It wasn't such a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon