vehicular woes

A couple of months ago, we finally bought our first minivan. It had to be done, even after teasing our beloved friends for having bought a minivan themselves. To be honest, the minivan rocks! So much space! Anyone who has ever tried to load two kids, a stroller, a diaper bag, a playpen and x-number of groceries into a cavalier with know the joy I felt.


Then, the van broke. In a big way. That’s my precious van in the picture above. I didn’t even have to fuzz out the license plate for the blog picture, because (among other things) it fell off. Back into the cavalier our little family went, but not for long because two days later I called MPI to find out how my claim was coming along and pressured the poor unsuspecting lady on the phone to please help me get into another vehicle soon due to the growing family in the shrinking car. I am pleased to say that exactly one week after the unfortunate van-breaking incident I was driving a new van.

Aside: What's the deal with that caption anyway? It more or less WAS a fender bender, albeit an expensive one. Nobody was hurt or looked at by medics or anything. I think it was a very slow news day. Way to go Local Paper!

This is the conversation I had with my daughter a day or two later. She always brings this up at the exact location that the previous van ended it’s existence.

Jordan: Mommy, this is where you crashed.
Me: Yes Jordan, this is where I crashed.
Jordan: You have to be careful Mommy.
Me: I know Jordan, Mommy has to be very careful when I cross the street right? It’s very important.
Jordan: Daddy doesn’t crash.
Me: (deep breath) No, Daddy didn’t crash the van.
Jordan: Daddy is careful with these sings [things].

Of course Steven was delighted with this little story. Every single time we turn at that corner she remembers. She hasn’t brought daddy back into the conversation again though.

Our new van we purchased through a local dealer. It’s actually a very pretty little thing (maybe not so little, but pretty!). We liked it right away, except that it makes a bit of braking noise in the back when we stop. The dealer included on the purchase agreement that we can get the brakes checked. I made the appointment, and this morning I took the van over there. Wait, no, first I tried calling this morning from the van because I wasn’t sure where it was. Nobody answered. I thought hmm, maybe he’s under a car right now and didn’t worry about it. I found the place, parked the van and went inside. A lady was sitting at the desk and reading. I guess she was too busy to answer the phone. I told her I had an appointment and she said that the guy wasn’t in yet, and she hadn’t heard from him, but I was welcome to leave the vehicle behind and he’d get to it later. Apparently lots of days he doesn’t get in until 10.

Um, yeah. Great way to run a business. I left. He can call me and hopefully make good on his appointments in the future. Not to mention that he originally wanted me there at 8, and I changed it to 9! Had I gotten up early to be over there for 8 I’d have been really mad.

That’s my van drama for today. I’d have included a picture of the new van, but still can’t find my camera. Sure hoping it shows up.

ps: this is my 100th post!

Comments

Q&L said…
Oh, oh, oh...ok...1. You made the paper and not in a good way. 2. YAY that everything turned out ok - minus the mechanic 3. I love when you post kid conversations.

I wonder if she'll remember that forever...some adults (my brother) claims he remembers things from like the age of TWO! I think he's crazy...but you never know. Kids can be so intellectual! AH!
Sonya said…
That's crazy! Glad to hear you're alright. Accidents are scary! I too am a part of the "I'll never drive a mini van club". But in the back of my mind I know that sooner or later it will happen. We're driving a Tauras and I have to bend so low to put Dillon in. We borrowed Devin's parents mini van to drive to Calgary and it was awesome. So ya - I'll just shove my foot in my mouth and drive one (some day...).
Tiffany said…
I know, I'd rather make the paper for having won the lottery! But yeah, everything is okay. Lyla - that's actually from the day of your shower!

Sonya - I vowed NEVER to get a van. Then I started having kids! I always thought too that I could put it off until I had that 3rd baby, but even with the two it's nicer - you're right, you don't realize how low you have to hunch over to haul the kids in and out and buckle them into their car seats. It's so nice when the seat is at a normal level! You should just cave and get one. lol. Then you'll have to quickly have some more kids so that people don't wonder why you need a minivan for one!
Tiffany said…
And kid conversations are fun! That's actually one of the most fun things about blogging, and this way I'll get to look back on this and remember these conversations. I'm actually thinking I should print off the blog posts about my kids and put them in a binder or the back of a photo album or something. Better than a baby book!
Ange said…
I knew I wasn't crazy when I bought a van. At first, I was reluctant too. I thought I was too young for a van. Didn't see myself in one until my 30's at least. Anyway, you do have a pretty van. And what's with all the blogging today? I checked this morning and there was nothing, came in from outside and look who's been busy? Keep em' coming!
Candice said…
When I started reading this, I thought to myself "This CANNOT be the shower-day 'fender-bender'." You crazy woman! You never mentioned that your van was toast! (The paper always makes it look worse than it was...I least I hope that is the case in this picture!)
Candice said…
Wait. I know I'm not the best at math, but according to your sidebar, you have only posted 89. And according to our sidebar we have only posted 73 (but on our dashboard states 83).

What's with that?
Q&L said…
...I thought it was the day before the shower...TIFFANY! I didn't know that! ugh...sorry
Tiffany said…
Yeah, it was the morning of the shower, and the van IS written off. Hence the pretty new van. I'm not even going to say how much damage was done. It's bad.

As far as the 100th blog, the dashboard said 100, so I went with that. Hmm, probably not going to go and count!

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense