happy birthday grandpa

Tonight was Grandpa Q's birthday. I was going to bring my camera and attach a picture as Sonya so often does, but I can't find my camera. So much for that!

Even though I was tired and grumpy, I looked forward to going to my grandparents' for the day. They are so warm and welcoming, and I always feel at home at their place.

For anyone who doesn't know, my younger living-at-home years involved a lot of drama and unhappy times. I'm not saying that people didn't love me or anything, but there was lots of bad stuff too.

Sometimes my grandparents talk of moving into something smaller, or into the neighboring city. I know that this is something people do when they retire and it makes sense, but it makes me sad too! Sad in a happy way I suppose. They have lived in that house for as long as I can remember (now I'm tearing up just writing this!), and so many of the positive times in my life have been there. I remember playing house, animals and "umbrella girls" with Angela. I remember Grandma being a softy and letting us have treats, and arguing over who got to sit in her lap. I remember us being really REALLY noisy and Grandpa coming downstairs and acting all serious when he told us to behave, but even though he tried to look stern the smile never left his eyes. Ask him sometime about me biting my brother, and my threatened punishment. It's pretty funny, one of those moments when you're not sure if he's serious, but you're pretty sure he's not, but you better not do it again - just in case.

For the past 27 years worth of Christmases, Easters, birthdays, weekends and sleepovers, as well as events in my own life that have been of importance (grad, babies, showers) my grandparents have been there for me.

To Grandma & Grandpa: I love you and I hope you know just how much! Thank you for making my world a warmer and happier place.

To Grandpa: Happy Birthday!

Comments

Ange said…
It was a good day today. I'm so glad you have so many fond memories, because I do too and I'm glad I get to share those memories with you. Love you lots!
Ange said…
You beat me to writing about dad's birthday! Oh well, I'll write anyway. Just not today, it's late.
Sonya said…
Nice post! I don't know your Grandpa all that well, but I sometimes get to work with your Grandma and she's a hoot! Grandparents are awesome!
Tiffany said…
Grandparents ARE awesome! And my grandma is lots of fun to work with. My first job was at her restaurant, and it was one of the funnest jobs I ever had!
Candice said…
K, I know that Ange probably isn't your mother. But can I ask if she is your auntie?
Tiffany said…
Yep, Ange is my mom's baby sister. I'm actually a year older than her! We've been close since day one. Actually, we're probably more like sisters than she and my mom!
Tiffany said…
Thus, Ange's kids are actually my first cousins, but I get to be Auntie to them. Let them figure it out later! It's even cuter that she's my kids great auntie!
Candice said…
My mom is involved in a web like that too! Her niece is only two years younger than her, but you guys have them beat by 3 years, so I guess she isn't that cool anymore...
Tiffany said…
I suppose she can still be cool, but yes, we are definitely cooler. lol.

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense