sleigh ride

Remember this post, where I mentioned that I was going to pull the sleigh across town with the kids in it to have a fun morning walk? Remember how chipper I sounded when writing about it? You wanna know why I sounded so eager and happy about the sleigh-pulling walk? Because I wrote it before it happened.

The kids have a beautiful new wagon/sleigh that they got for Christmas. It's a wagon with wheels that you can take off and replace with skis. Great idea right?

Ha!

I was so pissed by the time I got to diaper gym. Reasons?
  • The kids are freakin' heavy. I made Tennyson get out of the wagon and walk before we even made it off our street.
  • Skis? Would work better if there was any snow or ice on the sidewalk. Imagine dragging it over concrete. For a mile and a half. One way.
  • Did I mention that the two older kids walked? Every time we got to an intersection I'd have to holler at one or both of them to wait for me.
  • Tennyson falls a lot. He's such a klutz. You should see his face. The bruises are not from me, I guarantee. Every time he'd stumble he'd lay on the sidewalk and moan and whine for me to help him up. Everyone from my house to the hall heard me barking at my kid to get up himself. Then he'd whine some more. Then I'd pretend I was going to go on without him, so I'd walk a little further. He'd roll from his stomach to his back and wail. The way home was worse, because he was more tired and far clumsier.
  • Jordan didn't want to wear mittens or a hat. She was hot. We argued.
  • My wrists were burning from pulling the baby-filled sleigh.
It took forever to get there. The kids actually did pretty well. I can't believe Tennyson managed to walk there and back without begging to get back in the stroller. He did mention a few times that he was tired. I told him we were almost there, even when we were 80 blocks from our destination.

I thought that after walking almost three miles that day in total the kids would be all tired and wimpy for the rest of the day. Not so. Nothing slows them down. They still bounced off the walls like crazy people for the rest of the day. You'd never have known they'd been on a death march (as Steven would say) that morning.

On the way home Jordan kept flopping herself down onto snowbanks and saying she needed a rest. I made her get up and keep going.

Steven was eating sandwiches when we got home. Ask him sometime just how grumpy I was by then!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Grand Dad feels sooo baddd.
Tiffany said…
Um, I don't think he does!! I think though, that I'll put the wheels back on if we're out and about in town. I think the skis would work better in fluffy snow. We took it out after Christmas when we had all that snow, and it pulled pretty good.

Not so much on cement. The grinding sound was the icing on the cake!
Candice said…
LOL!

You are too funny.

You should make more babies so you can have more stories.
Q&L said…
funny, yeah, might want to put those wheels back on.

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense