Secret Daughter

I just read Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. I read the entire thing yesterday. It was amazing. The story follows two women; one from a village in India and one from America. The women couldn't be more different. The American woman is a doctor and married to a doctor. Her husband is from India, but his family is well-to-do and spares no expense for their family. The other woman is from a hard-working village where money is scarce and little girls are a burden. When the Indian woman has her first child it is a girl and her husband takes the baby from her and he and his brother bury her. She is not spoken of again. The second child is also a girl, and the baby's mother makes an hours-long journey into Mumbai to leave the baby at an orphanage, where she is eventually adopted by the American woman and her Indian husband.

The story is beautifully written, and is told from the points of view of the wives, the husbands, and eventually the daughter. It brought me to tears a number of times.

Read it.

Next Up:


Comments

Catherine said…
I LOVED the Secret Daughter! One of the best book I have ever read. I tried to read "The Good Daughters" and I couldn't get into it. I actually didn't get very far. Maybe when your done I will try again.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

today's to-do's