i want you mommy!

I just got home from diaper gym and the phone rang. I didn't recognize the number and was going to let it go to the machine, but then I thought better of it and picked up.

Yes I'm one of "those" people.

It was Jordan calling from the student phone at school. She was sniffling and told me tearfully that she fell down and that she wanted me. Being that I just got home and unpacked everyone from their snowsuits I wasn't about to load everyone up to run to the school and hug her. Even though I wanted to. Instead I asked her about her day and we talked about the snow hill and who was on the top of the hill and how many slides were on it. She told me who she was going to play with and that she hadn't had lunch yet. I let her talk until she felt better and ended the call.

I know it was the right thing to do, and that if I had gone racing to the school she'd have been fine and running around with her friends before I even got everyone loaded into the van. Still, I feel bad that I'm not there when she needed me.

I'll admit, I was a little teary when I hung up the phone, and I feel a little guilty for saying no.

Does it ever end?

When I was a kid I had a few cavities in a few of my baby teeth. The dentist pulled them and put in spacers to keep everything nice and straight for my adult teeth to come in. Not exactly a major dental surgery. My mom told me some time ago that after we had the initial appointment and found out what was going to happen she cried the whole way home, trying not to let us kids see her tears. She felt so bad for me.

I kind of laughed when she told me that. Now here I am, all sad because my daughter tripped and fell at school and I wasn't there to hug her, dust her off and send her on her way.

Comments

Q&L said…
Aww sweet story and good for you!

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense