third time lucky

You know how everyone says that three is WAY harder than two? Kids that is - coolers or cupcakes, not so much.

I have to say that so far, going from two to three is easier than going from one to two. I know, I know, those of you with a house full of sticky-fingered children probably hate me for saying that, but it's true. I think it's because my first was a somewhat . . . high energy . . . child. Now, she's calmed a little and doesn't do quite as many things to intentionally drive me crazy. She also plays on her own. And number 2? He follows number 1 around a lot. Number 3? Well I've already started manipulating his sleeping patterns and he only gets up once or twice a night.

Seriously - all you softies out there, it's okay for you to let them cry on their own, in the crib, for a few minutes after they eat. It doesn't last long, they fall asleep within the next few minutes. Last night he whimpered off and on a few times in the hour following putting him back to bed. I ignored him and he never really got going. I never get up unless they sound at least a little serious about it, and it works wonders. People always tell me that I'm lucky that my kids are good sleepers. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Right now both my boys are napping. I love nap time. You'll notice this is my third post today. They've all been within the last hour.

Another reason that it may seem easier is that I don't stress so much about each cry. For instance, yesterday I was getting the older two ready for dinner - you know, cutting food, bibbing them (i know, not a word), getting them settled at the table. Mitchell was crying in the playpen. I can let him cry a few minutes without panicking about it. Babies cry, they always have. If I were to race over to get him and make the older two wait for their dinner it would be way more drama then letting the baby cry for five minutes.

Lessons learned. Oh how we love our children, and we learn as much from them as they from us!

Comments

Tiffany said…
Apparently, after the 4th kid it just becomes a matter of throwing an extra potato in the pot.
Q&L said…
oh woman...you are sooo funny! BTW, thanks for having us over...on our way home, just b4 Elie, our friends phoned and cancelled...turns out their newborn had been crying all day and they were a little wiped. We were about to turn around and go back for supper, but thot that would be mean...next time!

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense