stuff i've been writing. by hand.

AUGUST 7

My computer is dead. Or at least it is at the time I'm writing this. Oh computer, how I miss you. I really miss blogging too, and email, and to a lesser extent - facebook. So to appease my need to blog I have decided to blog on paper, to be transferred to the computer later. I hope it happens soon, my writing is atrocious and my hand is tired already. The computer is currently "in the shop" and I have desperate hopes to get it back today.

Recent Stuff:

We took our monkeys to see the kids at the zoo with Lorelie and Andrew. I stole that from Jewel. I always thought it was cute, and after I had kids I realized how true it was. The kids liked the zoo - surprisingly, Tennyson more than Jordan. He was enthralled with the animals. Jordan was enthralled with Oliver, and the rocks, and the water fountains. All-in-all a great day. Thanks for the invite Lorelie!


Steven's building a deck. Or he's in the process of building a deck. The other day we got up at 8ish in the morning, and this is where we are now. He stopped at about 6 at night. I'll say nothing more. Love you honey!


There's a spider. You'd think after reading my blog post about spiders that he'd know better than to tell me (during a spider conversation) not to go in the garage. I told him to kill it, he told me that it's having a significant impact on the garage's bug population. I kid you not - that's something I'd make up, but I didn't, those were his exact words. I told him that I was going to kill it if he wasn't, and he got super protective over his new pal. I had to promise not to kill it before he'd tell me where it was. Did I mention that he named it Spike? I went out there today to take a picture of the newest member of our family for the blog, but he wasn't there. Of course not. Now Spike is probalby curled up in a fold of my pillowcase waiting for me to come back.

We went bluegrassing. Well, Steven's Dad and Doris did anyway, we just tagged along for a visit. This actually happened back in June but that's when I lost my camera the first time so I didn't blog much about it. Here's our group:


I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. It's not generally worth mentioning except that it turned into a bit of a performance. I mentioned to the doctor that the baby hadn't been moving as much lately, but when it does it's still strong. At this point the doctor is supposed to say "they move less at the end" or "it's getting bigger and it can't move the same" or something like that. I'm sure my midwife would have said something like that. They don't stress much. But noooo - in typical doctor fashion he calls the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg and sets up an appointment for a fetal assessment for next Tuesday. Did I mention that the heartbeat was strong, my blood pressure was perfect and my measurements were textbook? Definitely cause for panic. The nurse was then concerned that the assessment was a week away and pushed for the doctor to send me to the local hospital for a non-stress test. Of course he agreed, and off to the hospital I went. That was fun too! I got to lay on a hospital bed with monitors strapped to my stomach with a nurse who figured that if I just drank some more water, changed positions a number of times and took big deep breaths of oxygen from the mask that the baby would surely move. This took about 30 minutes. Each time the baby moved I was to push a button. You'll be happy to know that Baby is fine (as I figured), and I'm not having contractions (you'd think I'd feel that). Oh midwife, how I miss thee. On the plus side I got to lay down for 30 minutes in the afternoon without kids. It's funny, my actual thought as I was laying there was "this is what I gotta do to have a break in the afternoon?" Another plus - the nurse called the doctor and he called off the trip to Winnipeg. Now Steven doesn't have to try and get the day off while I try and find a babysitter (I guess I could have just dropped them off at Lyla's office). However, there was part of me that was a little stoked to find out Baby's gender!

My Usborne books arrived!
Remember Sonya who did my Usborne party? (There's a plug for you Sonya!) Well she dropped off my books today. I ended up getting $120 of books for only $40, which translates into 8 beautiful books. I'm not kidding about the "beautiful" part. They're wonderfully illustrated, and most of the covers are padded hardcover. They're really very lovely. Anyone who ever considered having a party like this should do it now - Christmas is only 4 months away!

AUGUST 8

I talked to the computer tech guys yesterday and it sounded like they were finishing up, so last night I ran excitedly down to the shop to get it. Well the computer guys were gone and the computer was still all hooked up so the desk girl wasn't sure whether it was done. Hence, I sadly left without my computer. Not impressive. This morning I called. Turned out it had been done but the guy hadn't unplugged it. I picked it up today, but we've been busy so it's still sitting there unplugged. Oh computer, how I still miss you! With any luck, I'll get on tonight!

The disorganized pile of lumber in our yard is starting to look like a deck! Steven is almost done the frame - the wood is even in the hangers, he just needs to screw them in. It's very exciting. I could conceivably have a deck ready for Sunday when we're having some friends over. It would be nice if the 7 (or possibly 9) children weren't playing on the building materials, some of which has nails in it. Sigh.

Putting the kids in the same room hasn't been going so well. It's been a week now and only about two of the nights have gone smoothly. If you put them to bed together they lay there and giggle, or Jordan climbs in Tennyson's crib with all her toys and again - they giggle. Or he cries because he's so tired and she won't leave him alone. We tried putting him to bed earlier and generally this would be a good idea! Right? Except that one of two things keeps happening:
  1. Turns out that Tennyson doesn't always cry himself to sleep. Sometimes he cries for a little while (or not at all) and then just lays there and looks around. FOREVER. Eventually we give up and put her to bed and the games begin.
  2. She acts up and wakes him up. This is so MADDENING.
Tonight looks promising. We decided to move his bedtime even earlier to 7:30, and push hers to 8:15 or however long it takes him to fall asleep. He's sleeping now (it's 8:26) and she's actually being quiet and staying in her room. I looked in on her once and she was standing there with her water and peeking at him - probably to see if he's awake so she could toss all her bedding and toys in there and clown around. I sent her back to bed. She better be good!

Funny story about the other night's bedtime: They had been laughing and jumping around forever, and Jordan wouldn't stop getting into his crib to jump around in there. Finally I had enough and gave her a pretty good little spank. Well, she was pretty quiet after that (except for getting Daddy to get her some more water) so we figured she had gone to sleep. Well, she had, but not before first relieving Tennyson of his blankets, sheet, pillow and teddy bear. That's right. We went in at midnight to check on them and the poor kid was just laying there sprawled out on his plastic mattress top with nary a piece of linen to comfort him. To top it off, she had hidden his sheet and we couldn't find it. To top that off, mom and I had just painted the rooms a couple of days earlier and the stuff that we pulled out of the closet was (and is ) still a mess and it took forever to figure out where I had put the sheets. Steven was holding the poor boy the entire time, and he was so tired and desperate to lay down that Steven ended up sticking him on Jordan's bed while I hunted for bedding. It's one of those things we had a good laugh about - not that we'd tell her that!

I'm gonna go hook up my computer now . . . And yes, if you were wondering, I am hand-writing all of this. For those of you non-true-bloggers, shame!

Turns out that $100 later the computer still does not work. I am SO MAD right now. And it's Friday night so I doubt any computer guys will be until Monday. Did I mention I got a paper cut while hand-blogging? Would NOT have happened had I been blogging on the computer. SO MAD.

Comments

Q&L said…
I acknowledge that you are a true blogger! Jordan's theme song...Jump around, jump around...
Q&L said…
i just reread this, I had missed the part about my Office Day Care. Yeah, I'll just keep them in the back server room, how much trouble could Jordan get into on the Server computer anyway??? (On second thought, maybe she'd be able to shut this place down for the afternoon and we could all take off to play in the sun...oh glorious!)
Tiffany said…
Can you imagine all the guys at the office abandoning their work to hang out at the park all day with a couple of little kids? lol. It's the stuff that only happens in movies - but Jordan WOULD have a blast!
Sonya said…
Finally! A post...but I will follow suit by not blogging regularly for a while. Left the computer at Future Shop last night. In Brandon. That's a whole hour away! If there is an actual problem this time (duh) we get a new computer. This is the fourth time it's been in. But I'm sure they'll try and stick us with some piece of crap - so there's the update!
Tiffany said…
They should just give you a new computer already then. That's ridiculous that it's constantly in the shop. Of course they'd rather half patch it up and give it back than give you a new one.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense