the hunger games

I just read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. By 'just read' I mean that a friend dropped the book off today and I read it. I figure that if I ever get Alzheimer's the ability to read a book in a day will be beneficial. I'd hate to have to start the same book day after day, although supposing I had Alzheimer's I wouldn't know enough to hate that I was doing that.

As it stands, although I am extremely forgetful at times, I don't have Alzheimer's. I've read ten books already this year, in probably fifteen days. I'll start a book and get caught up in it and then if it's really good I'll read it within the next 24 - 48 hours. If it's pretty good it might take me four or five days. If it's dull, well either I'll ditch it or read it over a longer period of time.

When I read it in a day? I feel guilty. Surely the kids need me to watch them (or at least be aware of them) running around with Buzz and Ironman. In all honesty, they don't seem to notice when I'm not watching Buzz and Ironman bashing Redekai and Zane on the couch, but still. Mommy guilt prevails. My solution is to wait a week before reading another book. As much fun as reading three or four books a week would be, it's not conducive to playing with kids, keeping house or making supper.

Thankfully chicken parmigiana is quick and easy to make, and when started after 5 o'clock it can still be ready by six. That's how I roll here.

I'd like to take a moment to recommend The Hunger Games.

There, I took it.

Seriously though, it was a good book. I think it's actually a YA novel, but I promise you won't be disappointed. Unless you're into slapstick chick lit, or harlequin romances, or stuff that doesn't take place in kind of an alternate present.

I'd also like to point out that unlike what we have learned from Twilight (patooey), The Hunger Games proves that although a book can be written with a YA audience in mind, it doesn't have to read like it was written by one.

Comments

Catherine said…
you should read Harry Potter one day when you are bored. You could have been doing that today whrn u sent me a text saying you were bored.
Tiffany said…
I could have, but it wouldn't likely be Harry Potter. I started reading the first book and I just couldn't get that excited about it! I may have to just watch the movies.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon