slides and underducks

"Hey!" A lady at the park shouts. "Whose kid is this?"

Of course it's one of mine. I wave at her - "He's mine."

"He just went down the slide head first."

I sigh. It's Tennyson, what can I say? "He does that."

"Just so you know," she said, matter of factly, "they die."

Uh, okay. Here it comes.

"I had a friend whose kid did that, and he died."

"Okay. Tennyson, slide nice."

I'm sure that totally did it for her.


Ten minutes later:

"Mommy! Mommy! Push me on the swing! A big push, to the sky! A underduck!"

"Okay," I said. I had Tennyson on a swing and Mitchell in a baby swing. I looked around and mumbled to myself "I wonder where Jordan is?"

I pulled Tennyson back on the swing and pushed him hard and high. As he hits the top of his arc he yells "There's Jordan!" while letting go of the chain to point her out to me. Of course he sails through the air and hits the ground hard.

Guess who is pushing her kid (gently I'm sure) on the swings beside us. Uh huh. Death lady.

Comments

Lora said…
I hate the death moms. but sometimes I'm one of them. but never at the park, and never to a stranger. i wouldn;t be a death mom if I wasn't a social worker.

also? i've seen a lot of kids die a lot of ways, but never on a slide.
Sonya said…
Must've been the same lady that was in line behind me the other day.
Heather said…
I am totally that same death lady. I protected my kids so much when they were little that when we went to Disney World they were too afraid to ride any of the rides. Go figure!! I can't help it. I just want to keep them safe soooo bad. Sigh.....

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense