and the rooster crows

My kids used to sleep from 8:00 pm - 8:00 am. It was beautiful. Then they started waking a little earlier. That was okay, 7:30 wasn't too bad, I don't even mind 7:00. It's a small price to pay for having all the kids snoring away in their beds by 8:00 at night, giving me some much needed downtime. Every once in a while I'd hear Tennyson grumble a bit in his crib a little earlier, but I'd ignore him and he'd generally fall back to sleep.

These past couple of weeks, he's been getting up between 5:00 am and 6:30 am. Lately I've been thankful when he even makes it to 6:30. What really doesn't help, is that he does this:



That's right. He launches himself from his crib. That pretty much curbs the whole "falling back to sleep" thing. A couple of days ago I finally decided that I wanted to see how he did it. The worst part is the part just before he swings his legs over, when it looks like he's going to fall off the corner head first. I bet your breath caught in your throat a little watching that eh? It's like Fear Factor in here.

Sometimes if I hear him up I'll go let him out of the room before Jordan wakes up, but usually he ends the night for everyone. One morning he climbed the dresser (almost 5 feet high) and stood on top of it so he could reach the shelves and throw books onto the floor. One morning it was really early (one of the 5:30 mornings I mentioned) so I went back in there to toss him back in his bed (it worked once) and he leaped onto Jordan's bed and ran and sat in the corner, almost stepping on her face.

I'm not really sure what to do. This shift happened quite suddenly. I don't really want to put him to bed any later because I really really like the downtime in the evening. I don't want to skip the afternoon nap, because I don't think he's there yet. Would it be inhumane to lay a sheet of plywood and some cinder blocks over the top of his crib?

Geez, I'm kidding. Put the phones down people.

I'm kind of debating putting Jordan and Mitchell together and letting Tennyson have his own room for a while so that he could just play in there in the morning without waking up Jordan, and then because he couldn't get out of his room I could just ignore him. I mean . . . let him play for a little while. I think too, that I should probably put him in a bed already, or perhaps lower the side of the crib so he can get out easier. He can get out anyway, and his "method" probably isn't exceptionally safe.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Candice said…
Okay, that is waaaay too funny that you tapped that! You are a hilarious, loving, laid back mommy. Good for you!
Tiffany said…
Thanks! He's done it a million times already, so I figure he may as well do it on camera!
Lora said…
i put jake in a toddler bed the first time i caught him with his leg over the side. I guess he was about 20 months old. He fell out the first night, but never again. knock wood.

He will be 3 in a month from tomorrow and I still lock him in his room via babylock on the inside doorknob. He knows how to open it (kinda. I have it rigged so he gets lucky sometimes) but knows he isn't supposed to.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon