solutions for the flying baby

Remember the post containing the video of Tennyson launching himself out of his crib? I decided that I needed to end the insanity and make him a little safer. Because, if he can jump out, he will. Oddly enough, I can't just tell the baby to stay put and hope he listens. Go figure.

Current situation:

Bedroom #1: Jordan and Tennyson's room. Actually the bigger of the two rooms, square footage wise, but two twin beds won't fit in the room because of where the bedroom door and closet doors are. A twin and a crib fit, and bunk beds would be wonderful.
Bedroom #2: Mitchell's room. The smaller room, but would actually contain two twin beds because the layout is different.

Other considerations:
  • When Tennyson stops napping I want to put the boys in the same room. I don't want to do it sooner because there's no way I can get them both to go to sleep together in the afternoon in the same room. No, I haven't tried, and no, I'm not going to.
  • I don't really want to swap the rooms because I'll just end up having to move Tennyson back in with Mitchell when they're ready to share. I'm not really that excited about moving furniture a bunch of times.
  • Later, the two boys will share the bigger room, and when Mitchell is old enough to handle being around bunk beds I'll move them into bunk beds. I already own the bunk beds, but anybody who knows Tennyson can see how beat up he looks all the time already without throwing bunk beds into the mix just yet.

Solution:
I'm going to leave everyone in the rooms they're in for now. Tennyson will stay in his crib. I've already lowered the side of the crib to allow him to leave the crib without having to leap from it. Now he can more or less climb down the side like a ladder. Once Tennyson stops napping in the afternoon (oh please don't let it be soon) I'm going to move him into a twin bed and Mitchell can move into Tennyson's crib and Jordan can move over into Mitchell's current room.

After all, she's the oldest, and she's the only girl. If that doesn't get her the odd perk then what's the point?

When she's older still we may just build her a room in the basement to free up some bedroom space upstairs, but she's too young now. I can just imagine 4 year old Jordan's delight: "Jordan honey, Mommy and Daddy are going to make you your own room where you can sleep all by yourself in the furthest corner of the deep dark basement right beside the furnace that makes loud thumping noises all night. If you need us for anything you can just travel through the dark basement, up the stairs, and down the long dark hallway to seek us out. Have fun honey, goodnight!" Catch my drift?

I probably didn't need this extra long, followup post, but some days a girl just has to kill some time...

Comments

Lora said…
my parents built me a room in the basement when i was 15 and i was still scared. nightmares every night.

gah! seriously, they are all coming back to me now.

one about a doctor burying his patients in the concrete in the corner by the xmas stuff and another about fred flintstone. i'll spare you

holy crap. i need to go self medicate.
Candice said…
I was the only girl in a family of three kids. I had my own room and my brothers (both older) shared another. When the oldest was 'old enough,' my parents built him a room in the basement. I still remember that some mornings we would find him curled up in the upstairs bedroom because 'he got scared and wanted to sleep with his (little) brother!"

Basements are scary!
Q&L said…
I pictured you sitting Jordan down and telling her that. I can imagine her nodding in agreement until she actually realized she would have to sleep in the basement. Poor girl.LOL
Tiffany said…
I don't know if anyone is following the comments on this post anymore or not, but my mom suggested waiting until Jordan and Tennyson were both old enough to brave the basement and then move them both down together (into separate rooms of course). See, that's why she's the mother of the year! I never even thought of that.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense