mommy moment

I was reading a blog on babycenter.com today, talking about how facebook deleted pictures of mothers nursing their babies because breasts were exposed. It seems they have policies against photos of exposed breasts regardless of the context. Of course, following something like this, breastfeeding groups are quite offended. I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this subject. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all when women breastfeed. I breastfed both my kids. It surprises me when people are so outgoing about it that they don't cover up at all, but I'm not necessarily offended by it. I wouldn't really consider it "nudity" or anything, but I guess if you have a policy against breasts then the pictures would have to go.

Then I went online to look at pictures, because the babycenter blog was talking about all the art over time that depicted breastfeeding mothers as something beautiful and natural. That's where I found this picture, and I loved it instantly! It really seems beautiful and maternal. I saved it to my computer, and it's now my facebook profile picture. Hopefully they don't delete it!

About nursing, some days I'd love to just give it up completely. It's so nice to hand daddy the bottle and the baby and not have to drop everything and sit for half an hour. It's nice too that he eats a little faster out of the bottle, and I think he eats more because he's satisfied longer afterwards.

But then there are times when it's so nice and close and cuddly. At 6:30 in the morning when I fetch Mr. Squirmypants from his crib and bring him back to my bed and lay him under the fluffy blankets beside me, and curl up around him, it's one of my favorite times of the day. I watch his long lashes lazily flutter and his contented little sighs and swallowing noises. He's so warm and heavy and relaxed. His tickly little fingers flex and curl along my side and once he realizes that he isn't starving he gazes up at me with his big blue eyes and then stops nursing to grin his happy little grin at me. It's just a perfect little time when we cuddle in the warm soft bed together before Jordan demands cheerios and Steven gets up and starts making noise. The house is so quiet and peaceful, and I know it wouldn't seem the same way if I had to go to the kitchen and make up a bottle while he cried impatiently, and then sit somewhere with it. The rest of the feedings I could give up to the bottle, but the early morning feeding is the one I'd truly miss.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense