the verwey flu series, 2010/2011

I was supposed to have a baby shower at my house for a friend today. I was looking forward to it. I was all prepared to make Banana Coffee Cake. It was going to be delicious. There was also supposed to be a sweet new fresh baby.

At about 11am, I find Jordan curled up on the love-seat with her arms wrapped around her middle. She feels warm. I ask her what's wrong. Her tummy hurts. She figures she should have the bucket.

We had the stomach flu four times last year in this house. I shouldn't even say last year, it was more like last winter. The first time was around Halloween, the second time was just before Christmas. The fourth time was the beginning of March. There was a third in there somewhere too. We never have it mildly. The first time we had it, it was ten days from the first time someone threw up until the last time the last kid threw up. It was horrible. After the first few days I could have cried each time a kid threw up all over the living room carpet - again. I think I probably did. Not to mention that somewhere in the middle of those ten days I had the stomach flu for a day too. There's nothing like changing shitty diapers when you're trying to hold in the contents of your own stomach.

Jordan tells me her stomach hurts. I set her up on the couch with a bucket, a blanket, and I turn the TV on for her. A little while later I check on her again. I ask how she's doing, she says she thinks she feels a little worse.

I phone everyone that I figure is coming to the baby shower to cancel. I'd rather not spread this around to others I know. I send out an email in case some of the women I didn't realize were coming didn't get a phone call. Half an hour later, Jordan announces that she's going to play outside, so out she goes. Then she comes in and experiences some crazy diarrhea. Then she has lunch and plays outside for the better part of the afternoon.

I felt a little silly for canceling the shower. In my defense, this doesn't usually happen. When a kid around here curls in a ball around her stomach and hits the couch hard for a couple of hours with a bucket we end up with chunks of 'stuff' in the carpet. This determines our plans for the next week.

I'm not complaining. I am crossing my fingers big-time that we're not going to wake up to a crying, puke covered kid at 1am. For the next 10 days. With one more kid than we had last year.

What are the odds that our experience with the latest flu bug will be limited to a few rounds of diarrhea?

Cross your fingers for us.

Comments

Candice said…
8?? I swear the other day it said 10..

:)
Tiffany said…
I think today it might actually be back up to 9. I'll check on Thursday. I have two days to reverse the damage!

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense