floor sandwiches

I was just talking to my aunt on facebook about my son's dinnertime antics, and I thought I should share them here.

You know, because the little things that amuse and annoy me in my own home will be oh so interesting for the rest of the world to read. It's not like you have to be here to fully appreciate the story. Much.

Tennyson is a little clumsy. I wish I had his 12 month picture on this computer so I could show you his bumps and bruises. When Jordan was just days from her 12 month picture she fell out of a lawn chair and skinned the tip of her nose. We postponed the picture in favor of getting her back to her pretty, mostly unscarred self.

Tennyson? We just took the picture (I found it!). He always sort of looked like Bruce Willis in the last 30 minutes of Die Hard. There was no point in waiting out the bruises.


Where was I? Right, the kid is a bit clumsy.

This whole blog has a hint of "stream of consciousness" to it. Go figure.

His klutziness isn't just limited to falling off the swings, trampoline, deck or bike. I've seen him run across the kitchen or living room, trip on his own feet and skid to a stop with his face on the carpet. There doesn't have to be anything to trip on. The worst was when he was running through the kitchen and looked back at me and slammed right into the wall beside the doorway.


See that little bit of green wall right behind me and Jordan? That's the one. He ran right into it. I shouldn't say that's the worst though, the worst is probably the time he ran through the living room, tripped and careened face first onto the edge of the entertainment stand - right in front of where the t.v. sits. There was a blood pattern on it after. He went to the doctor to get glued back together.

You'd think that eating dinner would be fairly simple for the boy. Put food in your mouth, chew and swallow. Maybe try not to spill your milk more than once.

He drops things. He drops entire slices of pizza onto the floor. He drops his sandwiches, full cups, giant hunks of potatoes, a loaded taco. The other day he dropped his sandwiches. Exasperated, I said "Tennyson, how do you always drop your lunch on the floor? What are we going to do with you? Maybe I'll phone Auntie Angela and see if I can trade you for Aaron. I bet Aaron doesn't drop his sandwiches on the floor." I know, you're not supposed to compare kids, blah blah blah, but Tennyson knows I'm yanking his chain. He gave me the glare and told me he didn't want me to trade him for Aawon.

My kids are going to stick me in the worst care home ever.

I was going somewhere with all of this. I can't help it, I took a break to read some other blogs, I'm sort of watching The Big Bang Theory. Have you seen that show? It's hilarious.

Tennyson manages to fall off of his chair. Even when he's not wiggling, squirming, laughing and being goofy, he manages to fall off his chair. He'll be sitting there, quietly eating his dinner and suddenly he'll just disappear from sight and hit the floor. I don't know how he does it. We laugh every time. He hates being laughed at. He likes to be silly and get a laugh, but if we ever laugh at him when he's not looking for it he's instantly mad. Which only makes us laugh more.

The other day, Steven and I ditched the kids at the table. They were taking forever to eat their pizza and we were tired of sitting there. Jordan came to find us a few minutes later, and with her 13-year-old tone says "Tennyson's rubbing his pizza all over his face." Steven and I looked at each other. Jordan continued: "He's pretending he's shaving."

We laughed. Jordan stared at us before rolling her eyes and huffing off. Okay, maybe she's too young to roll her eyes, but the sentiment was definitely there.

It's just Tennyson.

Comments

Naomi said…
Ashton is very similar, he can just trip and fall anywhere, anytime too. He's been to the ER for bending over and cracking his head open on the corner of the coffee table. He cuts corners to sharp and runs into walls as well.

As far as the eating thing. I just don't understand how he gets so messy. He chooses to push food through his face rather than eating it. He'll have food everywhere, his entire face, it looks like he rubbed it all over his face but he doesn't even do it intentionally.

BOYS!!
Ange said…
Great post!

Aawon, that's cute. :) And I love the shaving bit. That's too funny.
Patkau Life said…
You should really meet Zandria. She is like Jordan in a sense of energy and maturity....but like tennyson in a way that no matter what will always have at least 3 major bruises at any given time.
can not keep her food from hitting the floor...just be thankful that you don't have carpet in your dinning room.
Tiffany said…
Vanessa - we DO have carpet in the dining room!! It was here when we moved here, and it is the bane of my existence. The second we can afford it it's gone!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense