i'm having a hard time deciding whether mitchie is sick

Early yesterday he informed me that his ear hurt. I was impressed. Jordan's first ear infection was made known to me only after an entire day of her being miserable and mean. My girl, who is normally affectionate and snuggly, kicked and hit me throughout the day for no reason. It was unlike her. She was three and a half.

I much like "Mommy, ear hurt" way better.

Yesterday afternoon Mitchie had his nap. He woke up crying, cried for a good half hour and then spent the rest of the day either on my lap or following me around with his blankie and curling up on top of it on the floor of whichever room I was in. It was all very sad. When Steven got home at 5:30 I took Mitchie to the doctor. He moaned and whined and fell asleep in my lap in the waiting room. In the doctor's office he burped and swallowed and heaved a little, but didn't actually throw up.

The doc said he had an ear infection in one ear. I figured. I filled his prescription at Shoppers and went home. We put him in his high chair and were just about to feed him when he threw up the past week's groceries onto his tray. Steven took the tray to go and clean it off. Mitchie, who had been ten shades of white all evening, started to cry - but not because he was sick. He wanted his dinner back. We cleaned him up and gave him his food. He devoured it. He played with it, he dipped it in his water, and he ate it. I waited for round two. It didn't come.

Not that he didn't look all sickly. The kid's a little Casperesque to begin with, and being sick doesn't help. The blue circles under his eyes top the cake.

We put him to bed. I checked a few times, expecting to find the big puddle of half-digested chicken fingers and fries. Nope.

This morning he was still a little pale and cuddly, but up and grinning and begging for stories. He ate his breakfast. I took him to Walmart and came home and gave him lunch. He ate it. Go figure. He's getting some colour back.

I find this all very baffling. I was expecting to be up all night with at least one kid and loads of gross laundry.

Not that I'm complaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense