as you wish

If you haven't read my "100 excuses" post, go read it. It took me a long time! If you only got to #18 or so and then gave up, only pretending you read it, go back and finish!

Tennyson is so funny. He knows new words every day, words that I don't actually realize I've taught him until he repeats it. The other day he was repeating over and over "ip, ip, ip" while staring at my drink. Apparently, it means "sip." No prompting. He just remembers stuff. His memory never ceases to amaze me.

The thing though, that got me thinking of him just now is this - Jordan is bossing him around in the other room, trying to get him to help her carry something. He's so compliant with her sometimes. He's a very eager to please kid, taking dishes to the counter for me, or throwing something in the garbage. He itches to help me with the laundry (not always so helpful), the sweeping, the bathroom cleaning. It's cute, if not a little frustrating!

Back to that "thing" he does. He doesn't say "ok." When asked to do something, he says (in a somewhat resigned tone) "Dokey, dokey." If it's not obvious, it's in place of "okey dokey." It's cute! Maybe you have to be here to fully grasp it's cuteness, but it is!

"Tennyson, please put this in the garbage for Mommy."
"Dokey dokey"
"Tennyson, it's bath time."
"Dokey dokey"
"Tennyson," orders Jordan, "Help me carry this!"
Calmly, "dokey dokey."

Ever see the Princess Bride?

Buttercup: Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning
Westley: As you wish.
Buttercup: Farm boy, fill these with water - please.
Westley: As you wish.
Buttercup: Farm boy, fetch me that pitcher.
Westley: As you wish.

Tennyson's "dokey dokey" is said somewhat in the same agreeable manner as Westley's "as you wish." Except for all the romantic love.

That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.

That's when the kissing starts. Be still my beating heart - that movie is so sweet. I love it. I may have to go watch it now. Remember when they're walking through the fire swamp and he's casually swinging her, skirts ruffling in the breeze, over the bursts of flame before they ignite? Men just don't do that sort of thing anymore!

If anybody ever wants to watch The Princess Bride with me, just let me know. Anytime. Give me 30 minutes to quickly tidy up a bit.

This is totally off topic. This entire blog. Now that I read it, I realize that there is no coherent topic. I just missed blogging. It's been a whole day. I'm also procrastinating on my 100 list.

Comments

Sonya said…
I'll take a topic-less entry over no entry at all, anyday!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

today's to-do's