this is a big deal

Not to get all political in blog-land, but...

I've been watching some of the talk shows this morning, and it seems that America is abuzz over the win of Barack Obama. And they should be! It's very exciting for African American people. It wasn't that long ago that they weren't allowed to vote, weren't allowed to sit at the front of the busses, weren't allowed to eat in certain diners or use public washrooms that were designated "white" (among many other things). Now Barack Obama has become the first black president. Lots of people say that this election wasn't a "race issue." I hope it wasn't. I hope that people voted for the platform, and that party that they felt would do the best job for America. That being said, it's still a big deal that a black man is the president. Ask yourself - 43 years ago, would Americans have voted for an African American and ignored the colour of his skin and focused on the platform? Doubt it.

It's an amazing day.

Comments

Q&L said…
I agree about "focusing on the platform". I read an article the other day about voters paying attention to candidates with 'popular' causes, like environment or AIDS, (which can be important) but this guy stated the real issue no candidate has taken on is Abortion. He stated how many children are killed annually in the US alone.
I'm hopeful for Obama, it's a good change, but I'm also thankful the Democrats only obtaining a minority. Leaves the country with some balance, not too far left, not too far right. Just my thoughts.
Q&L said…
oops...I guess I was going on reports from earlier in the evening yesterday, when they were suspecting minority. It IS a majority government! My bad.
Tiffany said…
Pros and cons eh? With a majority government it's easier to get stuff put through, but then they aren't as accountable I suppose. I guess we'll see how it all plays out!
Candice said…
Okay, it's been twice now that I have left loooong and thoughtful comments on this post, but neither of them 'stuck'.

So, in short:

It *is* a big deal, and a truly amazing day!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense