goodbye old friend, or are you?

Not so long ago, I was quite angry. I had started watching my food intake and lost 6 pounds in a couple of weeks. Then I added exercise, continued watching the food and gained two pounds! Unfair right? Right!

Candice (you remember Candice right?) was nice enough to give me the following pep talk:

The short version: muscle weighs way more than fat. Loose fat + gain muscle = overall net gain in weight.

BUT this is a great thing! Muscle is way more metabolically active than fat. Meaning, with more muscle, you burn up more calories all day long even when you are just sitting around. Or sleeping.

Please, PLEASE keep in mind that the scale does not provide you with a number reflecting health value - just a number that reflects how much gravity wants you. The scale does not have the authority to measure your success. Instead, take note of your energy level, the way your clothes fit, etc, and *you* measure your success that way.

Aim for greater health. Not lower weight. The true beauty of this is that ideal body weight usually follows health. Also, health has 'staying' power and will always go in the direction you are push it (as long as you are pushing it 'wisefuly').

I've decided to take this advice, and look for success in other ways. I've actually been pretty proud of myself. Today I was at the gym before 7a.m. and kicked some serious butt on the treadmill! I went for 60 minutes, and managed to pound out five miles. That's quite a bit of running.

Some successes:
  1. Okay, so the scale went up a couple of pounds. After writing about that, I measured myself. The scale may have climbed, but I've shed 3 inches off my waist in 19 days. Not too shabby.
  2. I've been running on the treadmill. At first my legs would be quite sore for days after, to the point where it was somewhat "uncomfortable" to lower myself into a chair. This feeling is gone, after only a few visits to the gym.
  3. I've been getting faster. My slow run is 5.5 mph, and from there I reach speeds of 6.7mph and am able to hold it for upwards of a quarter mile. Pretty cool eh? Then I slow down, walk a minute, and run some more. If I run a little slower I can go longer. Feeling pretty good about all this.
  4. More energy. I fed Baby at 6 this morning, and then packed up and headed out the door instead of going back to bed.
  5. Pants are definitely a little less snug.
All in all, I'm having a good time with this gym thing. Then I weigh myself the next day and my "good time" is replaced with being mad.

Solution? I'm going to put the scale away this week (I haven't weighed myself in days already) and focus on all the good stuff. My next weigh-in won't be until next Saturday, Dec 6th. Wish me luck!

Comments

Q&L said…
Good idea with the scale. Couple years ago when I started running and lost a bunch of weight, I only weighed myself at your place or my parents. So the maximum I weighed myself was about once a month! Good idea...
So, what kind of treats are your favorite? lol...I'll whip some goddies up and sabotage you! JOKES!!
Tiffany said…
that's okay, I just won't eat ANYTHING until I get to your house!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

MIA