1 month, 3 weeks and 6 days

I'm getting pretty excited about meeting Petunia. Did I mention that's her name? At least while she's in utero. I can see it sticking. The kids talk about her like they talk about each other, and Jordan and Tennyson both call her Petunia without hesitation. Jordan wants to know why that can't just be her name.

Unfortunately for her, I just don't want to name my littlest daughter after the cheap flowers evereyone uses to fill up space in flower beds.

We actually do have a name, but we're keeping it a surprise until the big day! It's cute! It has a T in it somewhere. That's the only hint you get.

I'm really excited to meet her. We know this is our last baby (for sure!!) and I know that although I'll be excited for her little milestones, I know that it'll be the last first steps, the last first smile, the last everything. I can see how people are sad when their kids grow up. As much as I sometimes think "If only he was just a little older, I wouldn't have to do this or that for him," I'm kind of sad when the kids leave things behind, and part of me wishes that I could just keep them just like this forever.

Did you know that Tennyson calls strawberries fawbeddies? I don't correct him. I love it. Every few days he asks when we're going to go fawbeddy pickin'. I'm really going to miss hearing about fawbeddies.

Did you know that Jordan calls her forehead a front-head? I love that too. I know I could correct her and she'd stop doing it, but I really like it! Sometimes she'll come to me and say "Mommy, I fell down and I bonked my front-head!" I scoop her up and kiss her front-head and giggle a little to myself. She's growing so fast and getting so tall. She rations and reasons and argues and uses little defiant/snotty/bossy tones on everyone these days. I love the little girl she's turning into, but I kind of miss the littler girl she's shedding every day. I think I'll let her go on about her front-head a little longer.

One last time I'll start over. Night feedings and leaky poo and gas and crying; and tiny toes and new baby smell and raspberries and wanting mommy above all else and first little smiles and coos. I'll take the night feedings and the tiredness, because I know that it'll be gone fast and I'll miss it. As tough as some of that stuff is, it'll be over so soon, and with it so much else.

Not that I don't like the stuff that's coming. Doesn't mean I can't be sad when I have to fold up the little clothes for the last time.

I really want to see what she looks like, if she has hair, if she's a plump newborn like Jordan and Tennyson, or skinny like Mitchie. I want to bathe her and put her in soft little sleepers and cuddle her up in my neck and listen to her new baby sounds. I want to carry her around in my sling and feel her warmth.

I'm a little excited to pull out my pink baby stuff too after all these years. Not that the blue baby stuff wasn't exciting too.

Sigh.

Comments

Q&L said…
i know, i know the name!!!...Anatonia...hahahahaha
there's some big emotion in that post, that baby's first year will be happy, but full of emotion for you i think :) Guess that's something we all have to be cognicent of, we don't know how many we will be granted? each one is a miracle and a gift...cherish every moment! :)
Tiffany said…
Jeez Lyla, did Steven tell? Bugger!
Ange said…
Awwwww..... I can't wait to meet her too. What a precious little gift she is, just like the others. :)
Tiffany said…
I thought you were going to say "what a precious little gift she is, just like her MOTHER" but you DIDN'T!

Just a sec, I need a tissue...

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense