so little time

My house is a mess. It really is. It's not a mess like "there is some mail on the counter." It's a mess like the floor could use a good mop at any time, there are toys everywhere, there are socks and shirts and pants mixed in with the toys, the windows need a good scrubbing, the bathrooms . . . I could go on. And on. And on.

There are just not enough hours in the day! My place used to be way cleaner. Last winter I even had a rotation! I wrote it down! There were certain weekdays where I did certain chores so that everything would be done within the week. Vacuuming and bathrooms were on it twice! Now I'm sure my vacuum feels as though it's on hiatus.

My reasoning? I'm busy. I truly am. I always figured that not having a "job" would mean a clean house, cookies baked, kids happy, painting and coloring in the afternoon.

Ha.

I take the kids to playgroup three mornings a week. Jordan goes to nursery school the other two mornings. I sell epicure some evenings, the kids have swimming lessons once. Did I mention that to make things interesting I've also started babysitting two extra kids (if you do the math, that brings my number to five)? Top that off with the occasional girls night or movie rented with the hubby, and my life is pretty full!

I also feel like I'm in the kitchen all day. Seriously. In the morning I get breakfast ready. Then I have to stay and supervise it because the kids take forever to eat. Forever. They lick their toast, they take a few bites, they poke their fingers through the toast and wiggle it and laugh like crazy people. They drop it on the floor. They fall off stools and cry, they start over. They somehow need about 80 slices of toast to fill them. It takes forever. Lunch is the same. I'm always tempted to time the time it takes me to prepare, serve, eat and cleanup each meal and figure out my daily kitchen average. I think it would frighten me.

And you know what? I love it! I love playgroup, and nursery school, and having stuff to do. So what if I haven't cleaned the movies off the top of the TV stand in weeks (i plan on it daily). So what if I haven't dusted in . . . a while. Did you know I slept in the yard in the tent with my daughter on Saturday night? We had a great time. First we had chips, juice and marshmallows by the fire. Then we read Snow White by flashlight in the tent, because that's what Franklin does in the tent. He reads by flashlight. She was pumped. She's been wanting to sleep in the tent and play with flashlights all summer. Was it cold? Yes. Does she thrash around a lot? Yes. Did I sleep? No. But you know, it rated high above vacuuming.

Jordan's not going to remember whether or not the TV screen had hand prints on it (i hope), but she'll likely remember swimming lessons and playgroup and hopefully, sleeping in the tent with Mommy on a cold fall night under a pile of blankets.

Now I just have to remember that when company is coming, and my house looks like this . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense