the worst mommy ever

My kids are best friends. They play together all day. Where one goes, the other goes. Usually Jordan is the ring leader and lures him off to do whatever it is she wants to do. He's happy to oblige, he loves being with her.

But, as any friends, and especially as siblings - they fight. They'll go from happily sharing toys to each wanting the same toy in about 2 seconds flat. This results in then tugging a toy between them and Jordan yelling and squealing at Tennyson, and him just shrieking and trying to get a cry going to help with sympathy from Mommy.

Depending on my mood, my reactions vary. Sometimes I step in and nicely try to redirect their focus and get them playing nicely together. Sometimes I ignore it, at least until they've been at it on and off all day and I'm tired of the shrieking. Sometimes I admittedly yell a little at them to knock it off and play nice. Sometimes I take the toy and toss it up on top of the cupboards and nobody gets to have it.

Tonight I wanted it to be special. It's New Year's Eve and we rented a movie to watch with the kids and I made them some popcorn and we have them in their jammies to have a little family time. I was laying on the couch nursing the baby during part of this. Now, you have to understand how my kids eat snacks. Tennyson (not unlike his daddy) horks down yummy food really really fast. I'm not sure that he even tastes it. Jordan (not unlike her mommy) tends to drag it out a little while and isn't racing to the empty bowl finish line.

Tennyson finished his first. The popcorn in the big bowl was gone (something to do with Daddy I'm sure, I know I didn't get much!), and all that was left was a handful of popcorn in Jordan's little bowl. Tennyson's solution? Snatch Jordan's bowl and run away. Jordan was pretty quick though, and lept up from the couch to grab her bowl back. They each had their hands on the bowl, the tugging was starting, she was starting to squeal/cry and Tennyson was shrieking in his desperate bid to get his hands on the last of the popcorn.

Tonight, my mood was this: I really wanted everyone to have a good New Year's Eve. I disentangled myself from Mitchell and sat up, and was entirely too focused on Jordan and Tennyson. I was just about to gently part them and offer Tennyson some pretzels or see if Jordan would want to share just a few kernels of popcorn with him. I really didn't want a screaming match to start. It had been a nice little family evening so far, and I wanted to nicely reestablish the peace. I wanted it so badly, and I was paying so much attention to Jordan and Tennyson that for a second I almost didn't notice that the thump beside me was the baby hitting the floor.

That's right. I left Mitchell too close to the edge of the couch and he rolled off. I don't think he was hurt, just startled. I felt so bad - he had been all sleepy and cuddly, and the next minute he fell off the couch. I think I actually had a few more tears than he did.

The kids stopped fighting over the popcorn in awe of the baby falling off the couch.

My poor Mitchie, the baby who never wiggles when I hold him, and who is always content to snuggle and cuddle on my lap for hours, who feels as though his whole world is right if his mommy just looks over and makes a silly face at him, or claps his hands together, or picks him up off his blanket, or retrieves him after a long day of being held by others.

Yep. Feeling pretty rotten about it.

Comments

Sonya said…
Dillon fell out of our bed at six months. I was dead asleep, but the moment I heard that thud I knew what had happened. But he was ok - I'm sure Mitchell will be too! But I totally know that feeling!!
Tiffany said…
Update: Yes, Mitchell was okay. He cried for all of 30 seconds.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense