what can a baby do?

From Veggie Tales - "What Can a Baby Do?"
(as sung by the baby's big sister)

What can a baby do? Oh,
What can a baby do?

You puny pip
You can't do zip
But lay around and...

Too small to walk
Can't even talk
Oh, please learn something new?

I'd like a pet
But what I get
Is not a dog, but you!

You sit and drool
Oh, so not cool
What's all the hoop do doo?

What can a baby do?
Oh, What can a baby do?

I can't have fun
'Cuz I'm the one
Who's stuck all day with you.


I'll tell you what a baby can do! He smiles and coos. That's right, in the last little while Mitchell has mastered the smile. He's still a little stingy about sharing it, but it's there.

I've always felt that babies smile at just the right time. As mommies, we spend so much time caring for a tiny person who doesn't really look at you (at the beginning), doesn't smile and doesn't talk. A newborn is kind of a lump. A very cute, very loved lump, but a little lumpy nonetheless. Then there's the sleep deprivation. I know, people think they know what it's like to be tired. I thought I knew too, then I had kids. Imagine not sleeping more than 2 or 3 hours at a time for the next six weeks. It starts to wear on a person. Just when you think that you can't function on so little sleep for one more day, or listen to the crying for one more second, Lumpy smiles. This is ridiculous. I'm tearing. lol. That smile is a miracle. It brings hope and love and wonderment, and a knowledge that things will look up. It shows that little Lumpy recognizes and loves the person who has dedicated every waking and sleeping moment of her life to him. That he prefers and takes comfort and is made happy by mommy is the best feeling in the world.

Even better, it's the time when baby usually starts sleeping a little longer and crying a little less and maybe is just a little okay with sitting on his own for a few minutes at a time.

Oh how I love him. He loves me too. All is well in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense