veggies veggies veggies

Steven and I signed up for shares in a farmer's garden this year. Each week the family (with the help of their seven children) harvests the huge gardens, separates the produce into x number of portions, and delivers them to neighboring towns. Each week we pick up our basket here in town and check out the bounty within.

Last week's basket:
There are lots of greens:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Curly Lettuce
- Spinach
- Swiss Chard
- Kale
There is also:
- Rhubarb
- Radishes
- Onion Greens
- Baby Dill
- Thyme


Tomorrow's basket:
- romaine lettuce
- butter crunch lettuce
- Grand Rapids, curly leaf lettuce
- spinach
- swiss chard
- kale
- baby dill
- green onions
- thyme
- rhubarb


Mostly the same stuff, but judging from the pictures on their blog, there is more of it. As the summer progresses the baskets will change depending on what's in season and harvestable that week.

The fun part of course, is trying to figure out what to do with stuff we have never cooked with or eaten before. New to me this last week: Swiss Chard. I added some to a salad the other day. It's different, definitely a stronger taste than your regular garden variety lettuce salad. Tomorrow we get another basket and being that as there is again Swiss Chard in it I decided to look up a recipe and use it up. I really don't want to see my garden fresh produce end up in the compost this summer!!

The recipe I found (and I hope the kids will eat):

Swiss Chard Salad with Apples and Pecans
Ingredients:
1 large bunch (about 6-8 leaves) fresh Swiss Chard
1-2 handfuls fresh herb salad mix
1 handful fresh sprouts or micro herbs
2 large apples (mixed variety)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
drizzle hemp oil
drizzle balsamic vinegar

Preparation:
Rinse chard leaves, and trim off ends. Chop leaves and add to a large bowl. Core and seed apples. Cut into small slices and add to bowl. Add herb lettuce, micro herbs, raisins and pecans. Toss well. Drizzle hemp oil and balsamic vinegar, toss again until well combine. Ready to serve. Makes 2-4 servings depending upon how much you like to eat!

I figured I'd share it on here, being that Sherri and Stephanie are also receiving these baskets and might like to try it too. I think it sounds delicious. I have no idea what hemp oil is, and I'll just substitute it for olive oil. Herb salad and micro herbs? I'm translating as "a variety of the three different kinds of the lettuce in the basket." Yay! Paired up with a barbecued hamburger? Can't wait.

We also have kale in the basket, both from last Wednesday and again tomorrow. I keep hearing about kale chips - the kale is lightly coated in oil and salt and baked on a cookie sheet in the oven. Apparently people's kids will even eat this. I should send them my kids. Stuff always tastes better at other peoples houses. I'm hoping that they'll give it a shot, maybe dip it in some ranch dressing, and gobble it up!

You know what works? No strawberries and ice cream until you eat everything on your plate. Yep. I parent like that.

Comments

Sonya said…
Been meaning to ask you how you've been liking the baskets. That's a lot of greenage. Lol. Keep us posted on the goodies in your basket and what you're doing with it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon