conversations

Did you know that bed bugs are apparently a problem? I didn't. I live in a bubble. Apparently someone spilled some oil somewhere too.

Steven and I were talking about the bedbugs the other day. I figured they should bring back that DDT stuff that's been banned and spray it all over. Steven said it was bad. I asked how bad. He said very bad.

"No, seriously, is it exceptionally toxic?"
"Yeah, it was killing animals, like foxes."
"Foxes?"
"And other ones too. It's pretty bad."
"Okaaaay, how bad is it for people?"
"Well, it's not that good for you."
"It's not like I'm going to spray it on my sandwich."

Har har har.

Maybe you needed to be there. Whatever.

Tomorrow I'm parent helping at Tennyson's nursery school. Jordan used to be so excited when I'd help out at nursery school.

"Tennyson, next time you go to nursery school I'm going to stay and be the parent helper!"
Imagine me, waiting for him to get all excited with me...
"No!"
"Huh? Why not?"
"Because I'm supposed to go there by myself!"

"Huh. What if I come, but I'll play with other kids and you can do stuff without me, would that be good?"
"No. Not good."
"What if we bring snack?"
"What are we bringing for snack?"
"I bought apples and crackers and milk!"
"But I want chocolate milk!"

Seriously. First I forget to send Jordan a snack on the first day of kindergarten, and now I bought healthy milk. Good grief. And I was thisclose to Mother of the Year this year.

Tennyson is supposed to be excited that I'm coming! He's my momma's boy!!

It's starting to feel like my kids are growing up. Not sure if I'm all that excited about it. Sure, it used to be cool when they did new things - coo, laugh, talk, sit up, crawl, jump, develop a sense of humor, become older siblings. I liked all those things.

They used to follow me around and beg for kisses. Tennyson was the biggest hugger/kisser/iloveyouer of the bunch. Not so much lately. Now he's big. I don't know if it's the new baby, or just the age, but he isn't quite as cuddly and affectionate as he was. Sure I can call him over for a cuddle and he'll generally do it, and he really wants hugs and kisses at night, but it's not the same. He was my little man, my mommy's boy. He wanted to be a fireman so he could climb the big ladders and get me flowers out of the tree. This was mere months ago! Now he's pissed that I have to come and hang out in his class. He's really unimpressed. I've brought it up a few times, hoping he'll summon up some excitement. No dice.

I don't know if I like these bits of growing up as much as I like the part where they learn to smile, or laugh for the first time.


Jordan has something she's all weepy about every time I pick her up from kindergarten. I don't know if she really doesn't enjoy it, or if she wants to get the attention from me after. I'm trying not to suckhole her, because I don't want to reinforce her feelings of being victimized by not getting to stand by her friend in line at the end of the day. Instead I tell her that school has different rules than nursery school. I think she just needs to adjust. It's kind of a big deal.

Although tonight at bedtime I asked her what her favorite part of school was, and she smiled THIS BIG and said "Everything!" I think she'll be okay.

Ever try to ask a little kid what they did all day? So far, all I know for sure is that they have to stand up and hold their arms straight at their sides and listen to the "Canada Song" and it interrupted her coloring and she was unimpressed. And that she didn't get to sit at Brielle's table. And that she didn't get to stand in line with Brielle. Life's pretty tough over there at school.

They also didn't get to use the instruments. Pretty tough indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today's to-do's

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense