on kindergarten and kungfu panda

Jordan has been walking Tennyson to his kindergarten class in the morning. It's a little awesome. It's also a little sad that he doesn't care whether or not his mom walks him to class. It's like he's not even sad that he started school and doesn't get to hang out with me.

Actually, it's not really that sad. All last winter and this summer he's been telling me that he did not want to go to school. It was scary, Aaron wouldn't be there, I wouldn't be there, he wanted to be home, he just wasn't going, and on and on. I was a little worried.

On the first day of school I walked him to his room, helped him find his locker and put on his shoes. Then he found his desk and shyly put his name tag on. He copied the dotted letters to write his name on his sign in sheet at his spot. He then flipped the paper over and wrote his name unassisted. He looked scared and nervous, but he wasn't crying or begging me to stay. I gave him a hug. I told him I loved him. I told him goodbye.

I'll admit that as I left the school that first day I didn't even cry. The kids had driven me to the edge of the cliff day after day, moment after moment the last few weeks of summer holidays. I never wanted to be one of those moms who wanted the holidays to end, but . . . well. I was good until the middle of August - or they were good until the middle of August. Nothing but scrapping and meltdowns by the end of summer.

Anyway, where was I? Right. Jordan now walks Tennyson to class. This is way better than me having to maneuver through the school with Jordan, Tennyson and two preschoolers to the deepest, furthest corner of the school. I know, I've complained about this before. That's okay. I think it's so the big kids aren't traipsing through the hallways of the little kids. I'm good with it.

It would be nice if Tennyson didn't hit the ground running.

Oh right, also notable is that by the time Steven picked Tennyson up at the end of his first morning of school he was all smiles and happiness and couldn't wait to tell us what he had done that day and couldn't wait to go back the next day. He is the keenest little school boy you ever did see.

The other day I decided that Jordan should let Tennyson show her the way to his classroom. Our conversation devolved as follows:

Me: Jordan, let Tennyson show you the way.
Jordan: Why?
Me: Because that's how kids learn, by showing you how to do things.
Tennyson: Yeah, that's how Mitchell learned karate.
Me: Huh?
Tennyson: Yeah! From me and Jordan.
Me: You taught Mitchell karate?
Tennyson: Yep. We watch lots of Kungfu Panda. He knows lots of moves. And Spongebob and Sandy know karate. Kungfu Panda is lazy.

And on and on and on.

I never did ask Jordan if she let Tennyson be the leader that morning. I forget a lot of things. I like to let people know I'm forgetful, it's nice to set expectations low.

Here's to a happy Tuesday to all of you!

Comments

Ange said…
Your kids are so darn cute! I just love em to pieces! Glad he likes school. We`ll have to get our kids together again soon, I think they`d like that!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

the manitoba marathon

10 weeks