reply from shaw

From Shaw:

We would first like to apologize for any issues you have encountered with the Digital Phone Service. We do not show any maintenance scheduled in the area and we should not be having any issues. As an initial troubleshooting step, we have reset the Digital Phone Terminal which will often restore dial tone. If you read this message try picking up the phone and see if you have a dial tone. If so, please dial 611 to schedule a service call so we can investigate this issue and work towards preventing it from returning in the future. If this does not restore a dial tone however, please check each handset to ensure that no phones have been left off-hook and that no phone cords have been disconnected. Should the issue persist, please respond with your availability for today and tomorrow as we would like to dispatch a technician as quickly as possible to resolve this issue for you. We currently have a technician available to arrive between 8am-12pm or 12pm-4pm
.

*****

Then guess what happened. Can't guess? Well, I'll tell you.

I finally managed to get through to a representative on the phone using my cell-phone. I informed him (somewhat haughtily) that my Shaw digital phone wasn't working. It was just like that:

Shaw Guy: Hello this is 'ShawGuy' from Shaw, how can I help you?
Me: (somewhat curtly): My digital phone is not working. (then I paused forever to make him squirm)

That's it. He then had to be all friendly because I didn't give specifics. I was feeling testy. I love my phone, I need my phone, I need my phone to WORK!

In my defense, this happens from time to time. I'll go to make a call and there will be no dial tone - the phone is completely dead. Even more frustrating is when I'm on the phone with a friend, relative, prime minister of Canada or someone equally as important and the phone will suddenly die. Then I'll haul out the prehistoric cell-phone (okay, it's not old, just cheap), navigate through 18 menus and finally end up on hold for ten minutes before talking to someone on the other end who flips a switch, resets my modem from afar and restores phone services. It's happened more than once, so I think my snottiness was understandable if not justified.

Except . . . need I go on? I think the story really plays itself out here, I don't know that the ending of this story is really overly necessary.

Okay . . . biting bullet . . .

After my snotty email and equally snotty phone call in which I discovered that I have no idea where my phone modem is (they usually just take care of this from their end) so that I can reset it on my own, I called Steven. He told me it was in the ceiling, in the basement, beside the electrical panel. For one - what a stupid place to have a modem!

See how I'm redirecting this to make myself the victim again?

I had actually noticed that there was a large black cord stapled up the wall pointing to the ceiling, but I didn't think much of it because it wasn't attached to anything. I moved the ceiling tile out of the way to discover the modem. Remember that cord?

I'm guessing that the kids tugged on it, because it should have been plugged into the modem.

Comments

Q&L said…
that's funny, almost as funny as Steven driving his bike into the garage door.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon