So I have this thing . . .

. . . Where I can't sleep. No idea why. Take right now for instance: it's 4:01am and I've been awake since 2. It's not impressive. I didn't have any caffeine last night, no sugary snacks, had a nice supper at a normal time and went to bed at a decent hour. I didn't exercise too close to bedtime (or at all today for that matter). I fell asleep fine.

Then at about 2 o'clock I had this weird half-asleep, half-awake dream where you're awake but you can't shake the dream. Ever get that? I dreamed that an epicure party was still on and I worried that the people hanging out in the bedroom would see Steven's underwear since he had tossed the covers back. I actually "discreetly" covered him back up so they wouldn't notice. After a few minutes I realized that it's unrealistic to assume that there are people in my room at two in the morning to talk about epicure. I got up, had a sip of water, used the washroom (I have to wake up a little to shake this awake-dream thing, sometimes it doesn't work) and went back to bed. It's now 4 and I'm taking a computer break to try and get more tired.

You know what really helps? Nights when I've been laying there for hours (once it took me five) and Steven eventually wakes up and tells me that if I wouldn't get so mad I'd be able to fall asleep. It's all I can do not to batter him. BATTER. Of course being angry doesn't help. Of course it makes sense to relax and go to sleep. I AM RELAXED. I've been laying in bed for hours with nary a tense muscle, perfectly relaxed, perfectly ready for sleep. Only it won't come. You know what that does? It pisses me off. It's hard to be chipper and happy when I know that the clock is slowly ticking by. And I know that I'll fall back asleep an hour before the kids wake up.

This happens somewhat regularly. It's actually not been too bad for the last couple of weeks.
That makes made me happy. Like maybe it went away.

But it didn't.

Comments

Lora said…
That's how I get it too. I'm fine for awhile then I'm right back where I started.

Forget sleeping pills, because what if something happens to the kid(s).

It's hard.
Q&L said…
Are you still having nightmares?
Tiffany said…
Not so much. Just annoying dreams that follow me into being half-awake and I can't shake them until I get up, wake up and can't fall back asleep.

If I didn't get up, I wouldn't really fall back asleep either, because I'm busy with whatever I'm half-asleep dreaming about!
Ange said…
That really sucks. I had a couple of nights like that after Ethan was born, but it's been good since. I hope you get some sleep soon.

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense