elliot's first christmas


I was looking through pictures today, and we took next to no pictures of Elliot's first Christmas. In our defense, we didn't take many pictures of Christmas at all, because my camera is on the fritz (it turns itself on and off at random, killing batteries really quickly), but still. It's her first Christmas.

Tomorrow I'm going to dress her up all cute and plunk her down somewhere near the tree and take a few pictures of her.

She's awfully sweet. She's a little crafty. For instance, when I hold her up in front of me to talk to and smile at her she grins happily and slowly and gently reaches her hands up to place them on my cheeks. Sweet right? Then she clutches fistfulls of skin in a baby death grip, before yanking our faces together and pushing her open mouth against my face.

I actually think she's kissing. Sort of. Except for ridding me of some of my pesty cheek-skin, the whole thing is actually pretty affectionate. She doesn't suck, she just wiggles around and presses our faces and mouths together. I'm guessing she probably learned it honestly, I'm a total baby-face-kisser. I can't stand it - those beautiful bright eyes, that big happy grin, those chubby chubby cheeks, how can I not bury my lips in her soft skin?

I still do it to Jordan when I can catch her. She pretends she's too cool for it, but doesn't stop me, and loves to kiss my cheeks too. My boys are kissers too. I hope their girlfriends bully them into shaving. You know, when they're 27 and have good wholesome girlfriends who only ask them to shave so they can steal kisses.

Elliot is six months old. I know that six months is a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things, but six months?? Where did that go? She is definitely not a newborn anymore. I keep scolding her for growing so quickly, she's supposed to be my baby for a while.

She's in the same size diapers as Mitchell. Where he has hip bones and no arse, Elliot has beautiful, abundant baby chub.

Elliot is in 12 and 18 month outfits, and they fit her. I'm not cuffing up sleeves or tightening elastics.

Elliot is actually my least cuddly baby. Ironic, being that I had decided when I was pregnant that I was going to truly savor my last baby cuddles. Ha! She loves to be held, bounced, entertained and talked to. She is very sociable, and will smile any anyone who makes eye contact with her. She will not curl up and snuggle in. I try. I try gently pushing her head down onto my shoulder. She wiggles, turns her head, grabs some cheek and mushes her mouth onto my chin as if to say "See Mama, I love you too!" Then she grins and does it more. She likes to be close, but she's not exactly cuddling. It's okay. You should see the way she looks at me with utter adoration. It melts my heart.

Here's hoping the next six months slows down, just a little. :)

Comments

Pamela said…
Unfortunately, it seems to speed up and not slow down! :(
Q&L said…
that's a cute picture of the 4 of 'em! Mitchie in the bumbo :)
i love cuddles, Caden is still soaking it up and me too.
Naomi said…
Brayden does the face grabbing thing too but he puts his mouth around my chin, sometimes he wiggles around, sometimes he chews on it. It was funny until that bottom tooth broke through last week, (finally), now it just hurts!!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense

the manitoba marathon