work frustrations

As suggested by the title of this blog, I am frustrated. Not only that, I'm pregnant and frustrated. Not only that, I'm pregnant and broke and frustrated.

Because you asked, I'll tell you why. I have two and a half months of school year left. This is two and a half months to hurry up and work as much as I can so that I can get a couple of excitement-inducing cheques before my summer off and the baby's arrival. This would also help to not only ensure that I get maternity leave benefits, but to beef up said benefits.

I'm about to jump around a little, but bear with me. Back story is so refreshing, especially when it's disjointed and deliberate.

I have only averaged about 7 days a month in the School Division. This is partly to do with not having a babysitter. The good news - I got a babysitter around the middle of March. With high hopes, I recently joined the neighboring school division so I could fill up my calendar and increase my mat leave cheques next year. The neighboring division is way more rural and has very few substitute teachers so they're all sorts of eager to sign on newbies. Today I worked in said division. It was for Grade 3 (i prefer high school, but the day went pretty good), and it involved a 25 minute drive each way. In the meantime, the division in which I live called and I could have worked here, 5 minutes from home. Trying not to think about that.

Today when I got home, there was a message from the lovely division-employed substitute teacher arranger (not sure of her title). Apparently a few subs in this division quite recently and I can probably work each and every day here at home if I want. Of course I want!

I know what you're wondering. She has two separate school divisions each needing her undying support. She can work as much as she wants, why the whining?

For the record, I'm not whining, I'm bitching. Get it right.

Turns out that because my schedule has always been part-time, casual, on call, as needed, the babysitter has gone ahead and filled her calendar with concrete, sure thing, dependable clients. She now has no room for me. Steven and I are not one of those young married couples with siblings and parents who are at home and unemployed and clamoring for time with our kids. They all work. That's right, no handy retired relatives, still young enough to babysit a day or two a week.

You see my dilemma. I want to work as much as possible. There is more work than even I can cover (see the whole "two division" explanation), and I don't have a babysitter. Unless we can sweet-talk our poor defenseless relatives into volunteering to watch kids on their days off (this doesn't really make for a day off), I will again be limited to working only on Steven's days off. At most it's about 8-10 days a month.

Here's hoping I can get that mat leave.

Comments

Unknown said…
Tiffany dear...frustrated? yes you have a right to be...I remember a convo like this we had sometime ago and I said to you...has it ever not worked out for you? It has worked out in the past and I believe this circumstance will too...don't want to take the situation lightly, but like before, thankfully; someone greater is in control. :)
Tiffany said…
I know I know, I just need him to take control quickly! lol.

My mom wants to help out a bit, she'll take a few days a month in the next two months. I've also emailed someone else who is looking to babysit, but nobody really wants the part-time casual kids. By now I'd pay for all the days that Steven works, just in case I need them!

Popular posts from this blog

dinnertime/breakfast time woes

today's to-do's

two things: one to do with running, the other with my fastly-deteriorating fashion sense